Part of the Triratna Buddhist Community
Manchester Buddhist Centre is part of the Triratna Buddhist Community, formerly the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order or FWBO.
Each centre in this community is financially and legally independent.
A registered charity
- The Centre is a registered charity (registration no. 514937). More information in our entry on the Charity Commission website
- We rely on donations and contributions and have many volunteers
Mission statement from our charity registration
The advancement of the Buddhist religion, in particular:
- To encourage members and others to live in accordance with the teachings of the Buddha
- To support ordained members of the Triratna Buddhist Order and other duly ordained Buddhists at the discretion of the Council of Manchester Buddhist Centre
- To maintain close communication with, and work under the guidance of, the Triratna Buddhist Order and in co-operation with other groups with the same objects
- To use applications of the Buddha’s teaching to promote the health and well-being of all
Our beautiful building
Visitors are welcome to our Centre — you don’t have to be a Buddhist!
- Read more about the building and its history
Who runs the Centre?
The trustees are legally responsible for the running of the Centre and its courses. The Chair is responsible for the Centre’s spiritual direction and integrity. The Centre Team, other employees and the Centre’s teachers put the Board of Trustees’ vision into practice
Board of Trustees
- Dayamala (Chair until end of May 2013. Arthavadin becomes Chair later in 2013)
The Red Lotus Kula is responsible for the overall direction of teaching and events:
There are three part-time and three full-time staff:
- Suryaka Centre manager and maintenance
- Richard Millington Administration
- Chandana Programme / teaching
- Dharmakasara Reception and shop
- Vishangka Fundraising and publicity
- Ratnagita Finance
Their email addresses follow the same pattern — first name at manchesterbuddhistcentre.org.uk
Other part-time employees
- Dayanandi Women’s mitra convenor
- Arthaketu Men’s mitra convenor